Monday, December 30, 2013

Sunday Mornings and Chocolate Chip Pancakes

Every Sunday morning, my girls wake me up as soon as they wake up, to whip up our Sunday morning chocolate chip pancakes and sausage. 

These aren't my pancakes.  This is a stock photo.  My pancakes look more like the Cookie Monster's happy place on a griddle, and they're awwweeesommme.

I started making chocolate chip pancakes when my girls' dad still had every-other-weekend visitation, and when he became ill and unable to take them, my girls pretty much started expecting them every Sunday.  I don't mind, I like the idea of a family "tradition" that will possibly get passed down to my future (way, way in the future) grandchildren.

I had originally tried making pancakes with fruit in them (apples and peaches, mostly), to sneak some nutrition in there and eliminate the need for syrup.  I loved them - the girls, not so much.  So, I still managed to eliminate the syrup, but it took the introduction of tiny little chocolate chips to do it.

*Here's the recipe I use:

   2 c flour
1/4 c sugar
  2 tbsp. baking powder
  1 tsp salt
  2 eggs
1 1/2 c milk
1/4 c vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
(I also add about a teaspoon of almond extract, but that's optional)
1/2 c mini chocolate chips
 
Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. 
 
Put your griddle on the stove to preheat, on med-high heat.
 
Add the milk and oil - I use a fork to begin with, and then a hand-mixer to eliminate any lumps - and then add the eggs and extracts.  Mix thoroughly, remove the mixer, and add in the chocolate chips with a fork or spoon.
 
The batter will be thick, and depending on the humidity (or lack thereof) in your area, you may need to add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of water or milk to thin it down.  It shouldn't be watery, but it should be thin enough to pour easily from your spoon or ladle onto your griddle.
 
Use a ladle, large spoon, or other dispenser to drop a decent-sized dollop of batter onto your griddle spreading it out a bit so that it's even. 
 
Watch until it begins to bubble all the way through, and flip it gently with a spatula.
 
When you see the bottom outside edges turn brown, move the pancake from the griddle to a plate. 
 
You may have to adjust your heat setting; the first pancake in my house is usually the one we use to do that (it's really just an excuse to eat it early, but the heat-adjustment thing works, too!). 
 
Enjoy your pancakes!
 
*This is a recipe I got online a few years back.  I've tweaked it a little, but if you recognize it as yours, let me know and I'll credit you for it.*
 
I hope you enjoy these as much as my family does! 
 
Do you have any family traditions at your house?  Share in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment